These analytics can provide insights that can be used for grading, for identifying at-risk learners and for getting a general idea of what is the progress of each of the learners in the course.
Accessing the User View is done when clicking on a user's row in the Users Activity table in the Course view. The user view dives into the user and presents their activity throughout the course.
The overview section presents aggregated analytics regarding the activity of this user in all course videos.
The Overview includes a completion funnel as well as the user's videos consumption in the course.
The completion funnel sheds light on the user's total activity in the course
Illustration: A user's completion funnel
- Views - Number of times the user viewed videos in this course. For more details please refer to How Views are counted.
- Watched Time - total number of seconds the user has watched in the course (for all course videos).
- Total Videos - Number of videos in the course.
- Watched Videos - Number of videos viewed by the user.
- Total Completion - sum of Total Completion of Watched Videos divided by number of videos in the course (how much of the course videos the user has finished watching).
The video metrics (on the right of the Course Video Completion Funnel), provide insights on the user's video consumption habits.
Illustration: A user's videos consumption
- Average Completion Rate -Sum of percent watched in each view session divided by number of views. This metrics helps answer the question of how well the user performs in terms of dropout.
- Average Total Completion - Average Total Completion of all the watched videos. Total Completion is aggregated video completion for all view sessions (video coverage).
- Average Watch Time - Average Watch Time of all the videos. Watch Time is aggregated number of seconds watched in all view sessions.
A "perfect" watching experience would be indicated by an equilateral triangle (all edges should be the same, and as close to 100% as possible).
If one of the edges is significantly longer - you may want to pay attention to the user.
For example - In the Video Consumption image above:
The Avg. Watch Time is 248%, meaning: on average, the learner watched the videos in the course more than x2 of their duration.
The Avg. Completion Rate is 2%, meaning: on average, every time the user played a video, this user watched only 2% of it (the user watched only a bit of the video every time they played it).
The Avg. Total Completion is 79%, meaning: on average, the user covered 79% of each video in the course.
Recommended further reading: How to better Understand the Users by using Participation and Engagement Metrics?
In addition, we can find the aggregated activity metrics made by the user in the course:
Illustration: A user's course activity
Views – Number of times videos were viewed in this course by the user. For more details, please refer to How Views are counted.
Engagement – Rating for user generated content creation and consumption for the course. For more details please refer to How engagement is measured.
Collaboration - Number of comments and replies the user has submitted in all course videos.
Notes - Number of personal notes the user has submitted in all course videos.
The Activity in Course Videos table provides analytics about the user's activity in each video within the course.
Illustration: A user's activity in all course videos
The table can be sorted by each column to quickly find videos the user is most active on in the course by the selected category. For example: video the user is most engaged in, or video for which the user has the highest or the lowest Average completion rate, etc.
- Last Activity - Date when the user was last active in the video.
- Avg. Completion Rate – Sum of percent watched in each view session divided by number of views. This metric provides user's dropout rate for each video.
- Total Completion – Aggregated video completion for all view sessions the user had (video coverage).
- Watch Time(%) - Aggregated number of seconds the user has watched in all view sessions. The metric is shown in percentage for convenience.
- Engagement - User's score for UGC creation and consumption in this video. For more details please refer to How engagement is measured.
- Collaboration - Number of comments and replies the user added in the video.
- Replies - Number of times the user replied to a comment in the video.
- Notes - Number of personal notes.
- Thumbs Up Badges - Number of likes on comments the user received from Educators.
- Duration - Video duration.
To learn more about completion metrics we highly recommend reading: What is Total Completion, Average Completion Rate, Watch Time and why should I care?
Illustration: A user's activity trends